06 March, 2017

Portable air conditioning in a garage workshop. Troubleshooting the broken A.C. Unit and trying to figure it out.

So last summer, the portable A.C. unit that makes my coastal Texas workshop tolerable to me in the summer heat, died a loud, miserable death. Or at least it was in critical condition. The unit is a Royal Sovereign ARP1400WW,if I recall correctly it is allegedly a 13.5 BTU unit, and it has always been a little rattly, but last summer all bets were off...


So with it simply running for less than 2 minutes and throwing a breaker, something had to be done. It was obvious there was a fan problem. I honestly thought it had to be a bearing in the motor on the lower fan. After all, there couldn't actually be an issue with the fan blade itself right? Well it took me far too many small, sweaty and obnoxious projects before I could take the time to find out...


So now the mystery is solved, somehow the fan blade, which appeared to be fused to the shaft needing to be pressed off, war run into the inner half of the fan housing. Nice... Not exactly great quality control from Royal Sovereign as this unit sees somewhat infrequent use since new...  And I wasn't certain I knew what material this plastic was, but my gut feeling told me epoxy wasn't going to cut it...

This stuff sure did feel like an ABS plastic pipe. And so I did some online research, and, well basically found the types of plastics, and how they work blah blah blah... Long story short, this stuff sure SEEMED like ABS, and Home Depot had ABS, PVC, and CPVC multi purpose glue. Well basically plastic welding solvent. So I more or less got after the damage with the glue, and Q tips.


Long story short. Or not. I got it fixed. It was in the low 80s at the shop, and raining today. I fired up the unit and let it run for about an hour, with an added fan helping stir things around, the same way I have always run it. Within an hour I had to turn the thermostat UP because it was freezing me out of the shop.

Do I anticipate these sorts of results in say August with 100 degree heat and 89% humidity? Not hardly. However the one wall that has yet to be insulated is pending and might just happen this year. That should keep the colds and hots away within reason.

So now, no slips, slides, or bumps. Just cold air and quiet operation.


No comments:

Post a Comment