01 May, 2016

Fixing a broken laptop.... Migrating flaky HDD to a new SSD.

So in early march, my lovely Lennovo Flex 2 15D quad core 8GB RAM 1TB HDD touch screen laptop decided to follow the power cord as yanked by the dog off of the table and on to the tile floor in the dining room. This managed to bust my digitizer and initially that seemed to be the only damage. I can live with a cracked digitizer and just not use the touch screen, but after a bit I noticed repeated HDD timeout errors.

In order to fix this so I can keep up with my video work, and let my lovely bride have her laptop, I found, and ordered a replacement HDD, I really wanted a SSD though to improve performance and increase reliability. I found a screaming deal on a 1TB Mushkin on Newegg.com and so ordered it up...

Right now as I type, I am using Partition Magic to migrate the OS to the new SSD, we will see if the UEFI will actually boot to it.

It should....

So as soon as I am done with the data copy, I am going to wing the camera back up in here and give you guys and gals a birds eye view of me replacing the HDD with the new SSD and configuring the boot order, and booting for the first time from the new hard drive.

Wish me luck!

2 comments:

  1. Ahh, you continue to amaze me! Best of luck! Tell your wife I'm moving in is there is a zombie apocalypse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL.... I am sure the zombies won't be a problem. My lovely wife watches nearly every epsisode of the Walking Dead and can tell you hundreds of ways to dispatch zombies...

    The SSD swap will have to wait for at least another day since I have to take care of business for the cat, and laundry... Life is always an adventure even when it's not!

    ReplyDelete