03 June, 2014

As promised... Detail on how I secured the fire extinguisher to the door safety center.

I had to solve the issue of the fire extinguisher flapping around every time I opened and closed the door. It was making an awful noise, and transferring a lot of red paint to the door... It HAD to stop.

The top was secure enough, but the bottom would simply flop around willy nilly.

My first thoughts were for an over-engineered bracket to cradle the thing with a quick release metal band / buckle arrangement, but let's face it, that makes for some serious overkill. I just needed to hold it steady...

On a trip through Walmart's craft aisle with my wife the perfect solution almost literally smacked me in the face as overtstuffed products on pegs came spilling out as I was trying to fetch some black velcro for another project...

"Safety Red" hook and loop tape (not velcro brand, sorry...) and of course a couple of screws I already had on hand...

I simply made sure the 2 pieces met securely enough in the middle, and measured out enough so that I could double up the end, then run 2 screws into each end close to the extinguisher body. Then simply strap the 2 together...


The results may not win me any awards, but they sure are functional, and it doesn't look too shabby... Best of all, no more extinguisher knocking on the door!

No comments:

Post a Comment