14 April, 2014

A simple box joint jig for the Ryobi BT3100 and related saws, and my first box joint success!

Tonight is a night for celebration. I got to spend some quality time getting my sanity back from too much work work, and got to spend some time getting skill building woodworking done... Or at least jig building.

So without further ado here it is, my very first successful box joint...


Yes that is very much scrap plywood. Specifically I had used it to get that touch more of lift out of my too small floor jack when I rebuilt the front end on my truck... Hence the floor jack wheel shaped dent in the wood... but I digress...

The joint is smack on where it needs to be, and although I left the pins proud (intentionally I might add!) the fit it tight, and clean, no slop, just an easy snug slip fit.

The main section of the jig is just your normal flat piece of wood with an index pin, and the hole cut by the dado stack as it is worked... This particular one is 3/8". 


The indexing pin, and spacing pin (extra pin to set the initial spacing to stagger the panels... Are both 3/8" x 3/8" walnut. I haven't quite figured out how to stow the extra index pin. For now I have it set on one of the mount flanges and taped down. That WILL have to change. Just no real clue what to do.


As you can see, the attachment to the miter fence is via star knobs, and of course T-nuts. Both of which were sourced via www.t-nuts.com If you decide to do business with that vendor, please use that link, or the link at www.bt3central.com under forum --> Partner Links --> T-nuts.com. This will benefit the Sawdustzone foundation and the work they do, and you get a discount code for 10% off. So why not save some green and help out a non profit organization? The products are top notch, and they carry the special sizes used by the Ryobi BT3000 / BT3100 / Craftsman 22811 / 21829 and related saws.

I had to carve recesses into the back of the main piece to allow the star knobs that hold it to the miter fence turn freely. This was done with a simple grinding wheel on my dremel.



So while it isn't a nice new glamourous and shiny machine, it IS a very effective piece of equipment that will help me increase my woodworking project quality.

I have 2 more of these to make, I originally wanted to make one in 1/4", but I am happy with the 3/8" for a small size, so I am going to go with a 1/2" next, and MAYBE but not with any certainty, I might build a 3/4" version...

Time will tell...

No comments:

Post a Comment